Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Artist's Way: A Secret Skeptic

I recently had a conversation with a friend regarding quantum theory.  This is an area I have been fascinated with for about the past seven years and I started thinking about the concept as it relates to experience design and everyday life with a purpose.

Several years ago I skipped the book and watched the popular video "The Secret"  that gives advice on how to live your life to obtain happiness using the laws of attraction; or, the attraction factor.  After watching the video (there are two versions) I have to say, I'm a skeptic by nature and I consider myself a Secret Skeptic.   The boiled down concept suggests that "the way you think can manifest your realities"; which I think can be misleading.  It gives the impression that if you want a new red sports car all you have to do is vision yourself driving one and eventually the universe will deliver.  Story boarding and daily visual meditations can materialize a Ferrari with you behind the wheel.  I am however open to ideas that cause us to pause and evaluate how we think and act.

I think we can all agree that the start to a good day can begin with a hot cup of coffee or tea, yet that goodness can be spoiled quickly with the simplest of things such as a broken coffee maker.  Several years ago I read a book that changed my life for the better - The Artists Way by Julia Cameron.  It helped me understand the "enemy within" which is our core negative beliefs. 
"Most of the time when we are blocked in an area of our life; it is because we feel safer that way.  We may not be happy, but at least we know what we are - unhappy." The Artist Way by Julia Cameron
The movie "What the Bleep Do We Know" came out after I had read this book and tied together the concepts in the Artist Way with the science of quantum theory.  It offers a visual theory/experiment by explaining the process of how the molecular structure of water can be changed through the simplest form of energy - our thoughts.  Considering this is just a theory, doesn't it logically make for better practice to think positively about our day, life or situation?  A study from the Mayo Clinic in 2002 reported that people who expect misfortune and see the negative side of life don't live as long as those with a more optimistic view.  Additionally, positive thinkers had fewer problems at work and in other daily activities, less pain and fewer emotional problems, and increased energy.

I personally don't think the Universe gives a damn about us winning awards, driving shiny sports cars, or swimming in oversize homes.  I do think that we as human beings do care to live fulling and completely in our own skin doing the things that we are most passionate about with others.  I don't want to sound like a nay-sayer, but let's face it, doesn't some of the most challenging times in our lives seem to be the most important?   And, I think if we are living fully to our ability, a way is always found - I'll find the wheels I need to get the job done - it just might not come in the shinny red leather, new car smell I'd hoped for - and, I'll "learn" to be grateful ;) 

A supervisor of mine once told me, "There will come a time in our lives when someone will need our talents and skills as a means of their survival and it will be that way for everyone."  To me this means, be true to yourself and honor your true talents because someone's life, including your own, might depend on it.

No comments: