Monday, July 26, 2010

National Culinary Arts Month: Fine Art of Experiencing Foods

As a kid growing up I survived on a steady diet of Pop-Tarts, Eggos, Hot Dogs, Spaghetti O's and PB&J's. As a result, I had a bad relationship with food. I waited way too long to eat, rarely would I drink water and frequently loaded up on sugar and caffeine. As I got older, things got worse. I once returned to my desk with my fourth Mountain Dew in one hand and a Honey Bun in the other before noon. This has gotten out of hand. This explains why I was irritable, cranky, frustrated and had frequent headaches. Things needed to change...and, they did.



When I moved out of my parents house I vowed to do two things. One, I would light the candles in my house. (We had candles, but only for looks - never for lighting?). Two, I would never let plastic containers touch my table. I grew up in a house where it was perfectly acceptable to put the plastic butter dish on the table. Mustard container, chip bag, the pot or pan itself with a serving spoon. Today, I now have an enjoyable relationship with my food experiences. Food in our house is a spiritual experience. I learned most of my tips from this book - A Home for the Soul.

Making a meal is the primary act of soulmaking. Few activities delight the soul with such directness and immediacy. Each task of cooking-selecting the ingredients, washing them, chopping for slicing, mixing, and cooking-nourishes a different facet of the soul. Selecting allows us to become aware of the flavors that will delight the soul. Each food contains more than vitamins and minerals; each offers particular qualities of consciousness to savor, such as the sweetness in a string bean, tartness in a raspberry, sourness in a lemon, earthiness in a potato. Washing the food begins with the transformation and recalls the ritual purification that begins many sacred observances. The cool water pouring from the kitchen faucet can be soothing and refreshing. While scrubbing the vegetables we can feel the beautiful forms of nature. Cutting, chopping, grating, and grinding are precise movements that allow the skillful interaction of mind and body. These actions break down the separateness and isolation of each ingredient, enabling it to blend with other foods and spices. Each slice reveals amazing colors and shapes. Combining the chopped food-stuffs into new forms by mixing the ingredients in blows, kneading bread dough, or stirring herbs into soups, we can experience the harmonious blending that begins an act of re-creation.

I took this book to heart and today, my experience with food is not only enjoyable, but an important part of my day that I look forward to each day - each meal. I have now gotten to where I can make a meal plan for the week - this took awhile. And, my trip to the grocery store now includes the iPod, grocery list and reusable bags. Once home, the transformation begins.

I have a couple of large plates and bowls that I keep available for fruits and vegetables. Herbs will stay fresh in water and they smell and look great on the table.



The food preparation is important for me. I like to get all of my ingredients, utensils, pots and pans together before I start to cut, chop or slice anything. This includes thinking about what types of plates I want to use - mix matched or a set, napkins and different ways to fold them, glasses etc. Keep in mind, none of this is formal.

I'll select some music for the evening - now is a good time for a glass of wine.

And, let the rituals begin...

I eat off of an artist's table. My first dinning room table was purchased from an antique as a fixer-upper that never really got the fixer-upper; however, that table hosted many wonderful memories. It held sturdy over tearful moments drinking coffee with friends, served up birthday cake, held a hand of card games, dressed up for more formal affairs and expanded to make room for one more welcome guest. My sister-in-law now has this table. We gave it to her when my partner found a steal on a Ralph Lauren table that seats 15+. Although excited about the find, it didn't suit our house so we gave it to the parents - who, in turn gave us their table. This turned out to be the better deal. My partner's father is an artist and he used this table as he painted in the kitchen. Although he has several studio spaces, this seemed to be the most creative space. This table has paint splotches all over - and, we love it. It serves our daily meals with pride and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Our Artist's Table - paint splotches and all!


Our table is deserving of my time. It is where memories our made and shared. It is where we nourish our bodies and come together to share our days. I take pleasure in setting the table and I do it with pride. I let nothing plastic touch that table. Potato chips are great - in a bowl. Salt dishes and pepper mills look great on the table and are fun to use. Water pitchers are handy to have, are appealing and can be an experience to use.

I might mention that most of the dishes I own are not of much worth. But, they are of great value to me - chips and all. It's what gives it character.

This flower printed plate was a given to me as a gift and it's the only one I own!


Sitting down at the table is now an enjoyable and replenishing experience for me. I happily reclaim this moment each time I sit down at the table and light the candle before dinner.

At Q7 Associates, we are all about experiences not only in our designs, but in how we live our lives.  I'm pleased to share such experiences with my colleagues.   If you are a foody, please check out Q7 Associates', Tiffany Garritano's blog.

No comments: